Don’t you love it when dessert turns into breakfast? These dairy-free s’mores waffles are made with chocolate and graham crackers, and topped with a quick marshmallow syrup. And despite the sweet profile, the overall recipe is relatively low in sugar, and even made with some healthy ingredients!
These Dairy-Free S’mores Waffles are a Special Treat
This recipe was originally shared with us by Maria Joe Hema, as an entry in one of our recipes contests. We have since updated the post, and have answers to some recipe FAQs.
Which Dairy-Free Yogurt Works Best?
Maria Joe uses So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt, which is also our favorite for recipes. It has a good consistency, seamless flavor, and is sold in larger, more economical tubs.
Will Any Dairy-Free Milk Beverage Work?
Yes, in general, any type or brand of milk beverage should work well. In a pinch, you could even use water. Maria Joe uses So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage, which adds just a touch of richness. But there is enough fat in this recipe, so you don’t need richness from the liquid.
Can I Reduce the Oil?
I don’t recommend it. Waffles rely heavily on fat and sugars to keep them from sticking. If you reduce the oil in the recipe, you do risk sticking issues with the waffle iron.
Can these S’mores Waffles be Made without Egg?
I’m sure some egg alternatives will work, but we haven’t tested them. See our Egg Substitute Guide for ideas. I would lean toward options like aquafaba. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone! See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
Will these S’mores Waffles work with Gluten-Free Flour?
Again, we haven’t tested it. I assume a good 1:1 gluten-free baking flour blend should work well in place of both flours. That’s what they are made for! But I would avoid using a single flour, and definitely wouldn’t try substituting coconut flour or almond flour unless you are very experienced in making those types of substitutions. They cannot be swapped 1:1 for wheat flour.
Special Diet Notes: S’mores Waffles
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the marshmallows, graham crackers / crumbs, milk beverage, yogurt, and chocolate chips (if using), that suit your dietary needs.
Dairy-Free S’mores Waffles
Author: Maria Joe Hema
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1½ cups plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 heaped cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup finely ground dairy-free graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups plain or vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- 1¼ cups unsweetened plain or vanilla dairy-free yogurt
- ¾ cup oil
- 4 large eggs
- Dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Mini Marshmallows (optional)
- Add the milk beverage, marshmallows, and maple syrup to a medium non-stick saucepan and bring the ingredients to a boil over medium heat. Stir until all marshmallows are melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the syrup cool to room temperature.
- Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacture’s instructions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, graham cracker crumbs, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the coconut milk beverage, coconut milk, oil, and eggs. Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Lightly grease the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour ½ cup batter into each waffle grid (depending on the size of your waffle iron). Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the waffles onto a serving plate and repeat until all batter is used.
- Serve the waffles hot, and top them with the marshmallow syrup, and with the additional marshmallows and chocolate chips, if desired.
- Leftover waffles can be frozen and reheated in the toaster.
Serving size: 1 waffle Calories: 242 Fat: 15.4g Saturated fat: 3.5g Carbohydrates: 24.5g Sugar: 9.2g Sodium: 258mg Fiber: 2.2g Protein: 3.7g
More Unique Dairy-Free Waffle Recipes
Kid-Friendly Pumpkin Spice Waffles
Fruit Sweetened Watermelon Waffles